It’s Sunday and we have no plans of going out today. Wanna relax at home yet have a delicious lunch too.Aaru, my younger son is a big fan of Biriyanis and had been demanding a home cooked Biriyani for the past few days.Some how i had forgotten about this and cooked a sambar, veggie and rice meal in the morning as my parents- in law were also at home and dad always preferrs a veg meal. Aaru woke up by 11 am and came to kitchen. The smell of veggies took all the glow away from his fresh morning face as he was hoping for a sunday Biriyani. But seeing his disappointment i decided to go ahead with the Biriyani as i felt sorry for my forgetfulness.The next problem to deal with was getting some chicken. Home delivery guy did not pick up the call. So i decided to drive to the local market on my scooty. I always prefer driving a car than a 2 wheeler as i feel’ I can never fall from a car but will surely fall down to the road from a scooty”. Anyways, i gathered courage and started my Biriyani chicken shopping trip.While i was driving back home with the nicely cut chicken pieces, i felt so happy as if i counquered Himalayas.
Back home, i started my preparation for Biriyani. I’m sure you will also like this quick and easy Biriyani on a Sunday. Noting down my recipe here for u guys. Enjoy!
Preparation time 45 minutes
Basmati rice – 3 cups
chicken pieces (medium sized) – 1 kg
onions – 4 big
ginger paste -3 tbsp
garlic paste- 2 tbsp
green chilli paste – 1 tbsp
turmeric pdr – 1 tspn
red chilli pdr – 2 1/2 tbsp
garam masala pdr – 1 tbsp
lemon- 1 big
curd – 1 cup
cashew nuts- 50 gm
Raisins- 30 gm
mint leaves- 1 bunch
coriander leaves- 1 bunch
oil- any oil u prefer
ghee- 100 gm
saffron – 2 pinch
milk- 1/2 cup
1. Take a bowl and add chicken pieces to it. Add 2 tbsp ginger paste, 1 tbsp garlic paste, green chilli paste and 1 tspn red chilli pdr to the chicken and mix well
2. Now ad lime juice, curd and finely chopped mint and coriander leaves to the bowl.
3. Add i tsp ghee and One fried onion ( Dark brown ) to the bowl.
Rub all these ingradients very well into the chicken with your hand.
You can see how the marinated chicken will look like in the pic given below.
Now let’s cook the rice for Biriyani.( 1.You need to soak the rice for 20 minutes and drain it out. Keep asidethe drained rice 2. For cooking rice, you need to add 1 1/2 cup of warm water for 1 cup rice )
1.Heat a thick bottomed flat vessel on high flame. Add 2 tbsp ghee into the vessel. To the ghee, add green cardamoms, black cardamom, bay leaves, cinnamon and cloves .You may even dry roast and then powder them instead of using as whole masalas if you don’t like them coming in your mouth .
2. Now add the soaked and drained rice to the ghee and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on high flame.
3. Now add warm water to the rice .
4. Add salt to taste. (Make sure you are adding enough salt as Biriyani will not taste good if it’s not properly salted to your taste.)
5. Cook on high flame for initial 3 minutes and then on low flame till the rice is 3/4th cooked. Do not cook the rice to eatable state as it would create a mess or a mash later.
6. Keep the rice cooked and ready.
Now let’s deal with the chicken curry.
1. Heat a Kadai and add 2 finely chopped onions to it. (you can even use packed ready to use fried onions which is easily available in the market).
2. Now add 2 chopped tomatoes to it and mix well.
3. Now add the remaining Ginger , garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add turmeric pdr, Red chilli pdr and garam masala to the Kadai and mix well on high flame for 2 minutes.
5. Now you can add the marinated chicken to the kadai and cook on high flame for 3 minutes and simmer for 10 minutes. Make sure the meat is cooked well.
6. The chicken curry which we are going to use in layering the biriyani is now ready.
Now it’s the time for layering the rice and meat and and allow it to be cooked and mixed very well in it’s own juices which will be released while on Dum .
1.Take another thick bottomed flat vessel and make the first layer with the cooked rice.Pour some saffron milk on the rice.
2.The second layed will be fried onions and Chicken curry .Add a little saffron milk to it.
3. Now add another layer of cooked rice on top of the second layer.Add some more saffron milk and fried onions.
4. Now let’s seal the vessel with some dough.
5. Keep the flame on high for the first 4 minutes and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Enjoy the inviting fragrance of the Biriyani and treat your neighbour with a portion of your wonderful dum Biriyani who’s having a tough time hiding their watering mouths from you.;)
7. Serve the hot biriyani with a cool serving of curd mixed will finely chopped onions, green chillies and tomatoes or any Raita.