Aristocratic Nizams always contributed to the development of the culinary art. Their dishes are richly endowed with nuts and assorted spices and cooked in pure ghee. Hyderabadi food has to be enjoyed to be believed. The slow cooking and Dum method helps in producing rich aroma and flavours.Herad of Hyderabadi Dum ka tamatar, Hyderabadi baby onion ka salan?The simplest Vegetable like tomato also can be turned out to be an exotic dish in Hyderabadi style of cooking. Let’s see here how it’s done.
prep time 1 hr
Peanuts 1 1/2 tb
Sesame seeds 1 1/2 tb
Grated fresh Coconut 1 1/2 tb
Ghee 4 tb ( Or any oil you prefer)
Mustard seeds ¼ ts
Cumin seeds ¼ ts
Methi seeds 1/8 ts
Red chilly 3 n
Ginger garlic paste 1 ts
Curry leaves 2 sp
Cumin powder ½ ts
Coriander powder 1 ts
Chilly powder 1 tb
Onions 1 big
Green chilly 2 n
Coriander chopped ½ b
Mint chopped ½ b
Tomatoes 4 small
Tamarind juice ¼ cup
Jaggery 1 small piece
1.Dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut in a heated pan till the colour of the coconut turns light brown.Grind this into a paste in a mixie. Use some water for grinding.
2.Heat the oil in a thick bottomed vessel and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds ,red chilly and curry leaves to it. Let the seeds crackle.
3. Add chopped onion to the pan and saute till it turns slight brown.
4. Once the onions turn brown, add Ginger garlic paste and saute well. Add turmeric pdr, red chilly pdr & coriander powder . Saute in low flame for 3 minutes.
5.Now add the ground pste to the pan and mix well on high flame for 2 minutes.
6.Add sliced green chillie, chopped coriader and mint leaves to the pan and mix well.
7.Add tamarind juice followed by jaggery and mix well.
8. Add salt & 2 cups of water and let it come to boil once followed by 30 minutes on slow fire.Cover the lid and let it cook slowly.Mix well in between .
9.Make a slit in the green chillies and deseed them. Fry the chillies slightly in 1 tsp oil.
10. Add the fried chillies to the gravy and cook covered for 10 minutes.
11. Mirch ka salan is ready to be served hot with Pulao or biriyanis.
I love it with rotis also.
Wanna learn how to make Hyderabadi Baingan ka salan?