Now u must be wondering about who or what is chithamma??? Ok, let me tell you. She is none other than my own mom, whose name is Chithralekha but universaly popular as chithamma. History says , i was the one who named her with this cute name. But years later when i look back, i learn that other than me , the kith & kins of her’s have been calling her Chithamma.Including her her own sisters and even many relatives and cousins from my paternal side :).She is a great cook who never had any access to youtube or Sanjeev kapoor at her times. Now even though she has become technologicaly advanced, i salute her for her culinary skills which were totaly based on hit &trials and grandma’s wisdom.So, today i’m gonna make Crab masala, Chithamma style which is spicy and coconut based.The same recipe can be used for Prawn masala as well. Thickness of the gravy depends completely on your choice. I would love it in a semi gravy style , best for rotis or red/white rice.
Freshly grated coconut – 3/4 cup
onion – 1 big sliced
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbsp
tomato – 1 big
black pepper pdr – 1 1/2 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli pdr – 1 tsp
turmeric pdr – 1 tsp
salt – to taste
tamarind juice – 2 tsp
sugar – 1 pinch
curry leaves – 2 strands
cumin pdr – 1 tbsp
Oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
Crab pieces – 8
1.Heat 3 tbsp oil coconut oil/ vegetable oil in a kadai.Add sliced onion and fry till the colour turns light brown. Now add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw small goes away. Now add all the powders (except turmeric )mentioned in the recipe one by one and mix very well . saute for 2 to 3 minutes.Keep aside.
2. Fry grated coconut in 2 tbsp of oil till golden brown. Add curry leaves also into it and saute for few seconds.
3. Grind both the masalas (Step 1 &2) together in a mixie to a fine paste. This will be our masala for Crab.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai or earthern pot and add chopped tomatoes into it. Saute for a minute and then add the ground masala from the mixie into the kadai.Mix well and add 2 cups of water into it. Let the gravy boil for 3 minutes and simmer the flame and cook the time the gravy become half the quantity.
5. Now you can add the crab pieces into the gravy. Mix gently and cook for 4 minutes in slow flame. check the salt and balance it according to your taste.Sprinkle 1 pinch sugar into the gravy and mix well.
6. To get the consistency you can see in my pic, you may have to cook it on slow flame for about 15 minutes.
7. Season with fried onions and curry leaves.
If the same recipe is used for cooking prawns, allow the gravy to come to a consistency you like it to be and then only add prawns. It jut takes 2 to 3 minute for the prawns to get cooked. Rest every procedure is same.Enjoy!
1. How to clean crab?
Watch the Youtube video of Vahchef on How to clean crab. Extremely helpful !