This dish will be a great accompaniment for rice as well as rotis. Malabar is the northern part of Kerala, where I belong to. The way yellow lentils are cooked in this part of Kerala is very different from other preparations. And let me tell you another secret behind the dish. If you are trying to lose weight and add that extra glow on your face, I strongly recommend this dish for you. The coconut used in preparation, gets you the glow and the fibre from lentils (dal) and coconut takes out that extra fat from you. The amount of oil used in the preparation is very minimal.With all these benefits, you can enjoy great taste also. Try out the dish today itself .Here’s the recipe for you!
Yellow lentils – 250 gm ( Tuvar dal, sambar parippu)
red chilli pdr – 1/2 tsp
turmeric pdr – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
curry leaves – 2 strands
Greated fresh coconut – 1 cup
Onion – 1 big
Red chillies – 2 nos
( Grind 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut with cumin seeds and keep aside.You need to use thix mix in to the lentils once cooked )
1. Add enough water to lentils to cook smoothly in a cooker. Add turmeric and red chilli powders along with the lentils.( 5 whistles )
2. Once lentils are cooked , open the cooker lid and add the coconut and geera paste from the mixie to the cooked lentils.
3. Mix gently with a spoon and check the consistency. U can add more water according to your preferred consistency.
4. Place the cooker on high flame with the lid open and bring the lentils to boil for 3 minutes.
5. Parippu malabar style is ready and waiting for the seasoning.Seasoning decides the taste of this dish . So, do it carefully.
1. Fry chopped onion and 1/4 cup grated coconut to dark brown. Add red chilli whole and curry leaves in to it. Pour the whole thing straight out of flame to the cooked lentils
2. Crackle mustard seeds in 1 tspn oil and add that too in to the gravy.
Planning to surprise your family with Kerala vegeterian dishes or even Sadya? Then my other posts on Sambar , Avial , Koottu curry, Pachadi, Parippu curry,Puli inji and Payasam will do the magic for you!